Thursday, August 05, 2004

Picture: A Tribute to Henri Cartier-Bresson

"Above all, I craved to seize the whole essence, in the confines of one single photograph, of some situation that was in the process of unrolling itself before my eyes. "

- Henri Cartier-Bresson

The recent passing of Cartier-Bresson made me think about this particular photograph.

This is a picture that I made at the wedding ceremony of Kent & Glenda on July 17, 2004. It is one of my most successful images in the photojournalistic style. In my opinion, the picture is an appropriate illustration of Cartier-Bresson's "Decisive Moment". I hope you think so too.

The father gives the bride to the groom as the bride's family looks on. The happy, radiant expression on Glenda's face gives me the most joy to see, as she embarks on the next stage of her life.



Making a picture like this requires certain ingredients:

- Forethought.
- A thorough knowledge of the equipment and technique.
- Timing
- A little bit of luck.

When it all comes together, it becomes something special.

I would appreciate any thoughts or comments that you might have. Thanks to Kent and Glenda for allowing me to share this picture with everyone.

Thanks for reading.

Warren


Comments:
Hi Warren,

You captured a really beautiful momemnt - it's a wonderful wedding picture, and I'm sure Glenda loves it!

This photo does have that HCB "decisive moment" quality about it - it's the expression on Brenda's face at the center, and also the other participant's expressions reacting to the momement.

BTW, I discovered today that Henri's photo book, the one that was called "The Decisive Moment" when it was published in the US, has the original French title of "Images á la Sauvette." The phrase "á la sauvette" in French means quickly, hurridly, on the sly. I imagine it refers to HCB's ability to blend in and become invisible to his subjects, allowing them to act and react as they naturally would. So I think you also did a good job of taking this image "á la sauvette!"


Best regards,
SteveR
 
Post a Comment

<< Home