Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Iconic Photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson is Dead at age of 95



"We photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing, and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth can make them come back again. We cannot develop and print a memory."

- Henri Cartier-Bresson 1908-2004

How many of you are fans of the "photojournalistic" style of photography? Cartier-Bresson was one of the pioneers of photojournalism, and his work is an inspiration to legions of photographers who set out to capture "the decisive moment". His tool of choice was the Leica rangefinder camera loaded with black and white film, and he did not use a flash. He prefered to remain unobtrusive, and went so far as to put black tape on the shiny parts of his camera.

I am not terribly sad at his passing, for at age 95, Cartier-Bresson had a full and successful life that had a real impact in the world. I choose instead to reflect on his accomplishments and I will raise my camera to my eye this week and make some pictures in his honor.

For a retrospective of Cartier-Bresson's work, go to the following link:

Cartier-Bresson Restrospective

Thanks for reading.

Warren


Comments:
Hello Comrade Warren!

"...and I will raise my camera to my eye this week and make some pictures in his honor."

Well put... and so will I!

Best regards,
SteveR
(Comrade Stoisha)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Steve,

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Warren
 
Hey Warren: I've been thinking about you too, Lance's Sixth and now Henri. I read his obit and thought you might have some thoughts on him...the fam and I were on vacation down to Santa Barbara to visit Dorinne & George. It was a great scenic drive down the coast. Greg
 
Post a Comment

<< Home