Wednesday, July 21, 2004

TDF 2004 Stage 16 Alpe D'Huez Lance Shows Who's Boss!

There I was this morning, sitting in front of my computer with my mug of freshly brewed coffee. I eagerly anticipated this morning's Alpe D'Huez stage of the TDF as I turned on my computer speakers and tuned into OLN's live audio web broadcast. And as usual, I found myself staying in later into the morning thus making myself a little late getting into work. It was worth it though. I was once again enthralled by the drama unfolding before me. I alternated between the official Tour website and the Daily Peloton website to read their latest stage updates. I could visualize exactly what the OLN announcers were describing. Today's stage was an individual time trial that was a brutal uphill, 9 mile course switchbacking up the legendary Alpe D'Huez. The course was lined with about 900,000 spectators.

Jan Ullrich turned on his diesel engine today, and showed that he was still a powerful force in the racing world. Jan uses astoundingly long cranks (177mm), and turns a large gear ratio as he powers his way up the hill. Ullrich's run proved to be good enough for 2nd place in the stage. Our man Lance was the last to start the stage by virtue of his GC leadership.

In the end, Lance proved that he was indeed the Boss of the Tour as he overtook his 2 minute man, Ivan Basso, on his way to the stage victory. He once again put precious time between himself and the competition, utilizing his trademark high-cadence spinning style. Speaking of style, I wonder how many bicyclists are already wearing black socks for riding. Black socks were scoffed at by traditionalists, and any color but white was once banned at the TDF.

Okay, I'll let you in on a secret, I started wearing black socks while riding about 2 years ago. So I predated Lance on this one!!! Well, I wore them under my long winter riding pants, so maybe it doesn't count :)

The real race is now for the 2nd and 3rd spots on the podium. And it's going to be an exciting one between Basso, Kloden, and Ullrich. I look forward to seeing how this shakes out in the final stages of the Tour.

Thanks for reading.

Warren

p.s. Drop me an email or a comment please!!!


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home