Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Baseball Season Opening Day Yesterday

Hosting provided by FotoTime

This picture was from one of the last games of last season (2005).

The S.F. Giants lost yesterday's opening day game to the San Diego Padres in San Diego 6-1. Barry Bonds hit a ground-rule double in his first at-bat of the season. He was driven home by Lance Niekro's single for the only Giants score of the game.

Baseball season is always special to me because following the exploits of the Giants was one of the only activities that my dad was able (or wanted) to do, and share with me during the few years before he passed away. His memory, eyesight, and general health were failing, yet somehow he was able to talk about the Giants and he still remembered some of the players, and we were still able to talk baseball every day. When he could no longer see well enough to watch TV, he had his radio tuned in to the game instead.

Being at that game last season was a bittersweet moment for me since my dad was gone by then, and I thought about him when I was watching the game, and about how much he would have enjoyed being at SBC Park with us.

--Warren

Comments:
Atlanta Braves lost their opening day, too, Warren. Sigh. Maybe we'll lose the first one and win the last one (a reference to the fact that somehow we always manage to get to post-season but can't pull off the big one!). I know about the memories once you lose your dad (and my mom, in my case). Bittersweet memories. And a great photo of the two of you! Now I know what you look like :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home