Sunday, May 08, 2005

For Mother's Day: Portrait of My Mother, Circa 1977



Happy Mother's Day!

I happened to dig out an old set of archived b&w negatives to review. I came across some portraits that I shot of my mother back in the 70's. I often used my parents as models to practice on. I probably shot this picture with a Nikon F2 and a Nikkor 50mm f1.4, and I developed the film myself in the makeshift darkroom that I created from our tiny bathroom.

Now that my darkroom is digital, it was easy for me to scan this old negative and process it in Photoshop.

I think she was around 46 years old in this picture (I'm 47 now).

A couple of years ago, we almost lost Mom to cancer, but she fought back after her major surgery to remove the tumors. She refused to undergo chemotherapy, but she seems to have beat the cancer now. She is a strong, but gentle and good natured woman. I think it shows in this picture.

If you like what you see on this blog, please drop me a comment or an email to let me know. Thanks for reading.

--Warren

Comments:
Warren:

That picture is exactly how I remember your mom when I use to go over to the old house on Leavenworth. I really don't remember her any other way. I haven't seen a recent picture of your mom and I guess I really have not seen your mom since they moved from that house. Scary how fast time is going by. We just have to remind ourselves to enjoy each and every single moment we can with our parents and friends.

Curtis
 
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the comment. Yes, it does bring back those good memories from the old house.

Warren
 
I was about to say that I'd like to see more portraits from you when I came across this photo. Your mother's essence is very well caught here, and the photo itself is well framed.

Kent
 
Post a Comment

<< Home